Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy734 View Post
that's a lot of storage. I always found it more logical to buy two 16gb CF cards instead (sometimes for an overall lower price). If one goes bad, you lose less pics.
I also prefer two cards also, but two 32GB cards. 16GB wouldn't bother me at all if I weren't shooting nature and using the 7-fps capacity of my 7D copiously. I shoot RAW plus a low quality jpeg for ease of review, so that's around 30MB per image. Still, I usually only use 8 or 10GB per outting, but I've also filled a card in 2-hours when the eagles were cooperating and fishing and flying close by.

Also, I make the occasional mistake and forget to reformat my card before I start a new shoot. I only do that three or four times per year, but I've hit the "Card Full" sign a time or two.

Literally, I've got a 32GB in each camera body and I've been known to move the 5D MkII card to the 7D mid-shoot, but I've also taken to carrying three 8GB cards that I accumulated before I decided that I needed 32GB. That and there's a battery in each camera and a spare battery in a pocket in my photo-vest.

Still, it all depends on how you shoot. I like to use one at a time, save the RAW files, reformat the card and start all over and not deal with multiple cards. All things can fail, but my cards seem to be more reliable than me, so keeping the number of active cards low reduces the chance that I'll lose one or forget to reformat or make some other error.

Dave