Dr. G
Major General
Rep
Drives: Black e92 335i

Garage List
e92 BMW 335i  [8.84]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudypoochris View Post
I noticed the WGDC went up a little bit with the Wagner on stock turbos. Makes sense the Helix and others may behave similarly. I also don't think staggering the fins within the turbo air path is a good idea. If staggering fins only do it for a few inches worth. With cores of these size its wasted added back pressure. Staggered fins on the ambient air path is probably a good idea. Helix would look to be superior to Wagner from the extra rounding of edges and the larger air passage in the end tank that feeds the upper portion of the stepped core. Is it worth the extra money? No, I don't think so in the least.

Conclusion for me for E85 + stock turbos upgraded intercooler has minimal benefit mainly coming from ability to run lower E85 ratios and hit same target, better throttle response, and quicker spool (i haven't confirmed spool in logs, going off feel). The intercooler will allow you to flow more and make a little more power, but you are going to drive your turbos harder when they are already way way out of their efficiency range. The higher pressure drop from cooling the air more efficiently causes the turbos to need to generate more boost at the outlet to reach the same target. This causes the compressor outlet temp to rise which causes more pressure to be demanded. And on and on and on.

I didn't do any testing for 91 only but would imagine these intercoolers would have more value there since lower IATs will get you significantly more knock protection.

Original post... http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16893

This is a VERY VERY good post right here, hats off to you my friend, you know your shiet. A lot of the fmic's are based off of hype and groupies on here. I have a custom made FMIC and it's design is very similar to what you are suggesting. I took into account the velocity of air entering the exposed vs. unexposed area and the pressure drop vs. cooling benefits/losses and came up with a core with various diff types of fin packs based on their location in the intercooler. The results have been great!
JB4 / OSS Angel Eyes / Downpipes / F1-Racewerks FMIC / Custom Meth Kit / BMS DCI / ER Chargepipe / HKS BOV / BMS Meth Elbow / BMW Performance Exhaust / Carbon Fiber Inlay Quad Tips / 19" Miro 111 / Front Aero Lip / M3 Sides / VRS CSL Trunk / Mtech Rear / DD CF Quad Finned Diffuser / LCI Tails / BBK / Smoked Reflectors / F1 Euphoria LED Interior / License LED's / GT 5000k Corners / 5000k HID Fogs / Air Scoops / LED Turn Signals / FK Silverline Coilovers / HPA endlinks / Vibrant Resonators / Osram CBI 5000k D1S
Appreciate 0