View Single Post
      03-24-2024, 08:56 AM   #26
Captain Buumer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 325D

A nice addition to good audio setup is backup camera & Android Auto integration.

So i got the RoadTop MMI unit for e90 and show some images how to install it.
(decided to ditch the OEM navigation and the emulator route since first one is always outdated and emulator adds just problems).

It wasn't as easy as some say. Definitely not 2 hours. It took me about 3 days to install everything.
This includes microphone, backup camera, optimal location for the MMI unit, messing with the Quadlock connector, Putting the soft tape on most wires so they don't rattle, rerouting some OEM wires so everything fits proplery.

Most trouble is with the Quadlock connector.
I'll add image at some point but the trick is to push the quadlock connector to the far left corner behind the CIC rack. So it does not block CIC from going back to its slot.
It was very tight once everything went back to its place but there was barely enough room and it all fits.

i found that removing the CIC rack and cut off one plastic weird piece that prevents the quadlock from going to the corner.
The plastic piece serves no purpose and is sticking out from some air guiding tunnel.

I don't think its possible to do it any other way since there is literally no room anywhere.

I end up with the MMI unit to the right of CIC. There is a open space there and plenty of room.
Can't see it fit behind the climate panel. First it didn't fit there (gap is too narrow). Secondly all the wiring would block CIC from going back in nicely. I tried to keep area behind CIC free of any wires not meant to be there.
Had to disconnect optical fiber and reroute it and some other wires but in the end it all fits there quite nice.

Since i don't have MULF or any of those modules my armrest USB is free to use anything there.
3.5mm input (for mostly phone calls) and USB routed there for all the fancy features.
Here can see the USB extender i accidentally bought at some point. It served no purpose until this install.

3.5mm input i routed under the rubber mat (there is hole there) so no need to cut any plastic.
Also can see the wireless transmitter location.

The aftermarket backup camera wiring was confusing at first but i ended doing it like this:
There is RCA cable with included + wire at both ends.
There is also one power wire with + & -.

Power wire - i put into the taillights ground.
Power wire + i connected with the RCA cable +.
The CIC end of RCA cable + i connected to the yellow wire labeled as reversing camera.

And it works 100% every time with the wheel lines that track steering position.
Quality is quite good also. It's not crystal clear and this is because + wire runs right next to RCA = adds little bit of noise.
If you want crystal clear result i suggest run another cable that is not near the RCA & use higher quality RCA with better shielding.

I suggest avoid the cheapest backup camera units that are less than 30$.
Since they are not waterproof and will eventually die due to corrosion.

The one i purchased was about 70$ and it was much better built.
Looks like this:

Really nice piece of unit. Got the Waze & Phone calls which were nr1 things i missed + some other things i have not yet discovered.

Last edited by Captain Buumer; 03-24-2024 at 09:25 AM..
Appreciate 0