09-14-2011, 01:33 PM   #1529
The1
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: white 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy734 View Post
I'm going to India in a week, for ~2.5 weeks. Unfortunately, most of the time I'll just be visiting family, etc. But, I hope i'll be doing some sightseeing along the way. Any suggestions on what lenses to take?

I'll be taking my iPad2, 5D2, the 50mm f/1.4 and 24-105mm f/4L IS lenses for sure.

What I have left is the 17-40mm f/4L, 70-200mm f/4L IS, and 100mm f/2.8L macro. I'm not taking a flash or a tripod.
I`d leave the Ipad at home, you can`t even use it for backing up pictures unless you have a computer to load them onto first.

leave the 50 1.4 unless you're going to be using it specifically for family and stuff where you know your distances are always going to be consistent. same story with the macro. It really doesn't have a use unless you know you're going to be shooting things that are intricate.

I would however bring the 17-40 (even though it's a lens i didn't like because of the barrel distortion) the number of times when i'm travelling that i use or leave a wide angle on my camera is about 6 out of 10, where the 24-105 i would have on probably 3 out of 10 and the 70-200 would be 1 out of 10 times.

I find the use for primes is mostly in a photo shoot situation where zooms/wide angles are mosty used outdoors and traveling situations.

That's just my experiences talking, i'm sure others have different opinions and experiences.

But i've walked around while traveling with up to 6 lenses at different times, now i mostly just bring 3, and leave one in the car.

my bag now carries 16-35 F2.8, 24-70 F2.8, and 70-200 F2.8. I only need the 100-400 if i know i'm going out looking for animals or am out in nature and want that extra length, but it doesn't stay in my main camera bag, it tends to sit safely between clothing in it's carry bag in my luggage. Any primes stay at home in wait for when i'm shooting with friends or jobs.
Appreciate 0