10-08-2011, 08:37 AM   #1689
oneintheory
no longer a BMW owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Ford Edge Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
Dropping more RAM in a 27" iMac is a piece of cake. Seriously. If you can insert an SD card into your camera, you can upgrade your RAM. It takes maybe 2 minutes. Go to crucial.com and run their Scanner program. It will scan your system and tell you what you have currently (including how many RAM chips and how many open slots you have) and then it will give you the options for various upgrades. I just picked a random 27" iMac and 8GB of RAM is $52. If you have a fairly new one, it should take 16GB.
yeah, i'm aware. i've done it before. i've just not done it on mine yet, for some odd reason. it's brand new, so it'll take 8GB per slot with 4 slots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstep View Post
Yeah, just remember next time you upgrade. For now just at another 4 or 8G of RAM, which will help a bunch. Later, when you replace the current computer, make sure you go to 64-bit and the best multi-core CPU that you can afford. It's the same on Mac and PC.

Dave
...i did the best i could afford, especially since i have a 17" MBP as well. stepping up the processor speed on the iMac was costly. i got a 3.1GHz. I think the next available step up was 3.3 GHz, and i definitely dont have the funds for a Mac Pro. as far as 64-Bit goes...with OS X, you get what you get unless you get the Server version. I run most of my programs in 64 bit though.
Appreciate 0