Chewy734
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i ZPP, ZSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by The1 View Post
new or used?

and that cost would definitely cover you for your next few self purchased birthday and Christmas presents

I love the idea of the Leica M9 but for that money, you can pick up a 5DmkII and 2-3 L series lenses (model dependant) And you're not exactly skimping on quality making the sacrifice to go with that stuff Mind you, i've never shot a leica, but I figure, as long as i don't shoot one, i'll be very happy with my current setup
New. But it was on sale, which is extremely rare... more rare than Apple having a sale on their products. Even so, it wasn't cheap, but it was very tempting.

What you mentioned is pretty much the reason I walked away. I think if I had a real job (and wasn't a grad student), I would've walked away with a big smile on my face and an M9 in my hand. Oh well...

I honestly don't think you can compare the 5DMKII with the M9. Good Leica lenses run circles around the L lenses, and coupled with the full-frame sensor on the Leica and the size of the camera, it's hard to beat. But, it's important to understand where the 5DMKII can excel, since the Leica cannot be used easily for a variety of different situations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The1 View Post
you can buy a ferarri, or you can get a porsche with 99.9% the performance, better reliabilty, and almost half the cost
If you find a high-perdormance Ferrari or Porsche for $6k (and not ones from the 70s or 80s), let me know where.

Quote:
Originally Posted by remmib View Post
Crazy mp and iso, and at least the fps is a bit faster than the mkII.
All though it must feel slow compared to the 7D.
I guess the 5D will never be an action camera.
Yeah, the 5D line will never be for wildlife enthusiasts or sports photographers, etc. Stick with the 7D or upgrade to the 1D. The 5D is excellent for landscape, portraits, architecture, etc. The low-light capabilities are better than the 7D. I just wish Canon would fix the damn AF. I've played around with the 5DMKII and D700, and the D700 wins hands down with it's AF system, especially in low light.

If you need higher fps, wait for the new 1Ds or get the 7D. If they made the 5DMKIII 8-10 fps, then there would be very little need for the 1D line.