Crisp
Lieutenant Colonel
Albania
Rep
Drives: F95 X5M

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimate View Post
BMW is reportedly developing a new navigation element which can guess your next destination based on driving habit and time of day. BMW is sorry Dave, it cannot let you put this route at risk.

The new system would analyze past driving patterns, previous destinations, time of day and other variable and suggest a list of destinations you might be en-route to. It's not a terrible idea, but if you don't know where you're going or how to get there by the time the car has learned where you might be going, there's something wrong. Undoubtedly this technology will be paired with real time traffic, accident and weather notifications to make getting where you're going more reliably quick, but the notion of learning cars freaks us out.

credit: gizmodo
http://www.4wheelsnews.com/bmw-to-de...ion-of-choice/

I wouldn't want it.

If you had to pay extra for it, who would chose his over another option, say logic 7?
If it's free and it can be turned off, fine, but if I really need the navigation, it's usually for a place that I have only been to a few times and don't really remember how to get there. These places are random, at the trips are at random times, since it is not a trip like from home to work. If it is such a random and not a frequent trip, the car will not pick up on it and I am not going to wait there for it, I'd rather just click two buttons and set it myself.

The only destinations that it is going to learn based on time of day and route are the ones you do often and that follow a pattern...why the fcvk would you need directions for the trips you take most often?
Only reason I see would be road closure or major traffic issues, because everyone knows traffic conditions at a certain time of day on the routes they take every day, or every other day.

This is a waste of money and not thought out very well, in my opinion.
I'm dumb though, BMW engineers are smarter so who knows.
Appreciate 0