View Single Post
      11-28-2013, 10:03 PM   #19
speedaddictM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbm3cab View Post
If I wanted a car with an engine that would last for 200k plus then I sure wouldn't buy an M3 with a 8400 rpm redline engine in it.
So how come bmw in all their marketing about the M3 conveniently forget to notify you of this little factoid that their engines don't have much of a life expectancy

Quote:
Some compare this engine to exotics that typically see 5k or less a year and those engines don't last for 100k plus either.
There isn't a single thing on the M3 including the engine that is remotely exotic. It's a mass produced higher performance variant of BMW's volume-selling grocery getter 3 series. No one buys an M3 to drive it one weekend a year like they do with Lambos or Bugattis. People buy an M3 to drive on the road, a lot, and put a lot of mileage on them.

Quote:
Perhaps a Honda or Toyota would be the car to buy if we wanted to enjoy high mileage, but even then if you beat the shit out of it then it wont last that long.
You can get a C6 Z06 or GTR that will smoke an M3, and beat the shit out of them daily, and they still will probably be more reliable than an M3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PandaM3 View Post
If you want a car that will last 200,000+ miles and be 95% as quick as the M3 both in a straight and in the turns... There's always the IS-F.

If my oil analysis starts going south as far as copper and lead I'm unloading this car to carmax or autotrader and picking up an IS-F.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashman View Post
Where do you see that it is half way gone

Maybe your statement applies on a Honda engine, but this is an engine built to extreme close tolerances and spins faster than 90% of what's on the road. I don't think it's crazy to expect moderate wear and this is very moderate wear, even for a car that I'm sure was not babied.
One such Honda engine is that in the S2000. Remember it? Made more hp/L than the S65, and also revved to a whopping 9000 rpm. And I'm sure it was built to very close tolerances. Yet it can still keep going on and on without eating up its bearings.
Appreciate 0