10-06-2013, 08:24 AM   #49
M3 Pilot
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 17' F80 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccondo View Post
TOday I got some 1000 grit sandpaper and sanded down the front rotors and it seemed like quite a bit came off. However it seemed like there were circular grooves around the rotors. IE when dragging my finger straight down on the very top of the rotor is felt like there were bumps or ridges. I know almost nothing about brakes or rotors so I dont know if this is normal or not.

I didnt have time to do the rears but went and drove it and I so far cannot tell that it is any better.

I am planning on sanding the rear tomorrow and if it doesnt resolve the issue or make it alot better I plan on order a BBK.
1000 grit sandpaper isn't going to hurt the rotors. The scratches are normal and will be resurfaced by your brake pads.

To find out if pad deposit still remains, get your brakes up to normal operating temps, find a empty stretch of road where you can safely brake hard from 60-65mph to 20-30mph. If your steering wheel still vibrates under braking, it means the pad deposit is still there.

If vibration is less than before, try using 900-1000grit sandpaper on the rotors.

Remember that after the test drive, don't let your brakes cook again. Drive sedately around sedately for 5-10 mins to let the pads and rotors cool down before you park the car.
Appreciate 0