View Single Post
      08-25-2023, 10:01 PM   #276
shawnhayes
Major
Rep
Drives: 22M5 CS,23X5E,24M3 CS,24 i4

Quote:
Originally Posted by F32Fleet View Post
It was a typo. I meant to type "fuel dilution" rather than "fuel solution". In any case the purpose behind top tier fuel is to keep injector tips clean. They're incredibly hot in the combustion chamber and at shut down the fuel at the tips will carbonize. Clean tips minimize the change for poor spray pattern. Poor spray pattern can result in high levels of fuel dilution. Make sense? TT fuel has no cleaning effect via the crankcase. It's simply not possible.

As for my oil comment. All else being equal using high SAPS oils (LL01, LL01fe) can result in more IVD compared to Low SAPs (LL04, LL17fe).

The 20w oil used by BMW in the US is low SAPS (ACEA C5) but that wasn't always the case with previous gen TGDI engines.
Hmmm. Maybe you're misunderstanding me. I'm not per se suggesting that TT gas can actually CLEAN the valves, but there is at least suggestions from some authorities that high quality gasoline can help AVOID rapid deposition of deposits. Not the same, but same result. Low quality high volatility gas gets into the oil past the rings and then ends up as a volatile gas in the crankcase that can burn on a hot valve stem.

As far as SAPS go, now you're talking. High quality uniform carbon chain oil can be less volatile and not end up as oil vapor burning on valve stems. But that's not the ONLY cause of deposits. It has to be more complex than that.

Shawn
Appreciate 0