View Single Post
      03-30-2014, 03:44 PM   #1
Canadian 335xi
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Angry Engine Malfunction with no DME codes? Includes datazap logs from map 2 and 5

Car: 2008 335 XI with iDrive
Mods: Catless downpipes, DCI, JB4 ISO5 (running map 2)

Background:
I got my plugs replaced a week or two ago. The car seemed to idle a little rough after the plugs were changed to the point that I went back and asked them to check things over, look for codes, etc (it was on the way to work and I went in on a whim). The found nothing and there were no stored codes.

Last night I was in 4th and was wide open throttle from about 2500 RPM, I was just before 5k RPM and the car went LIMP and the engine malfunction warning came up on the dash as a yellow 1/2 engine and iDrive gave me something similar. The loss of power lasted 2-3 seconds or so and the dash returned to normal, the message went away and the car was fine. I stopped at the gas station filled up and headed home.

I hook up my laptop and check for DME codes using the JB4 software but there is nothing there. The car is running fine and has not had any other symptoms. I went out today with the laptop hooked up and did a bunch of pulls on map2 and map5.... no errors, no power issues, etc. Can I upload logs here or is Berger the only source to read them?

How can I have no DME codes when I got the Engine Malfunction warning message?

I think people will say "bad DME" but if I don't use my 'clear codes' setting on the JB4 and run on map 0 I will get the CEL come on and get the "catless downpipes detected" message. (or at least I did before)

Last edited by Canadian 335xi; 03-30-2014 at 05:28 PM.. Reason: added datazap logs
Appreciate 0