Thread: 1
View Single Post
      06-18-2014, 09:03 PM   #9
Freon
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

The accelerator pedal in this car is not so much controlling the throttle plate as it is defining a target load. Then the ECU decides how to get the load through changing the throttle plate angle and wastegate control, and at least to some extent even timing.

The idea that your foot controls the throttle plate has been broken for years as just about every modern car has an electronic throttle. Even in naturally aspirated cars there is a fair amount of decoupling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savir04 View Post
the ECU is obviously trying to control BOV operation via intake manifold vacuum using throttle body angle...
You are unnecessarily fixated on the BOV. The BOV's primary purpose is not to be manipulated to make cool sounds. It's there to avoid damage to the turbo from compressor surge.

Your statement is like saying VANOS's purpose is to manipulate oil flow rate through the oil filter. While they are attached functionally, your line-drawing between the two is nonsensical.
Quote:
I just don't know for what reason...
Already answered this for you. It reduces lag. If the throttle remained closed, the turbos would spin down further and faster, increasing lag when you press the accelerator again.

Particularly for turbocharged cars, keeping the throttle closed when you are coasting in gear is just wasting energy, both from a performance and fuel economy perspective.
Quote:
I thinks its stupid [...] To me it's a huge issue, almost a make it or break it type issue
You really should reconsider this attitude...
Quote:
cobb gives you access to absolutely all ECU reference tables
Not remotely true. It's not practical. But do they expose enough? In my opinion, yes.

Last edited by Freon; 06-18-2014 at 09:28 PM..
Appreciate 0