09-28-2010, 03:01 AM   #28
Schm
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSK77 View Post
I digress a little but speaking of 3 series exclusivity, BMW produces 18 variants of the 3 series in various markets (according to Jeremy Cato of Car Business/Globe & Mail journalist in a recent interview). Lending engine technology to others is something BMW is acutely experienced with - I fondly recall the BMW sourced 4.4 L V8 power plant in the 2002 to 2005 Range Rover's.

And speaking of partnerships, check out this article - mind boggling to say the least...

BMW to save billions by 2012, with the help of Mercedes-Benz

We've heard talks about tech-sharing for years, it's about time they've finally gotten around to it. That article is interesting, but they really were vague about exactly what is being shared. I feel like BMW/MB are probably being pretty tight-lipped about it. If you follow the auto industry at all (Which being on e90post probably means yes) Carlos Ghosn, current CEO of Nissan-Renault and all around genius businessman, is one of the strongest advocates of tech-partnerships and consolidation in the industry. With costs increasing around the world, companies absolutely must find new ways to cut costs (And in the end beat the silent elephant in the room- also known as VAG-Volkswagen Auto Group.)