Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
I have a dual RS sling strap that I'll use to carry two bodies when I need them. Probably the 6D with the 400 5.6 and 1.4x TC and the 7D with the 70-200 2.8 and the 2x TC. That will be some serious weight, though. I won't be walking too far with all that. For the upcoming local airshow, I plan on working from the tailgate of my X5 with the 6D set up on a tripod and the 7D on a sling.

For a week in late Aug and early Sep a B-25 bomber is visiting the local airfield to give rides. I don't care so much about getting a ride, but I want lots of shots of it taking off and landing.
I carry my 500/f4 by the tripod foot and have the 7D on a CPS strap around my neck with the 70-200/f4. That keeps the weight on my neck reasonable. It's still a load that I'll carry for hundreds of yards per day and up to a couple of hours. For a two-mile hike in, I really need to get a backpack for the 500/f4. I don't do that often, but I need something like that.

I've noticed that most of the pro sports photogs have their long lens on a monopod and the short cameras slung around their shoulders or necks.

I thank my junior high and high school coaches for forcing me to lift weights. I've got a linebacker build and started water skiing at age-6 and played all sports, so it may be easier for me to lug things than the average photog. (Now if I could just lose 30-pounds off my stomach, it'd be real easy going). Unfortunately the arthritus in my ankles, feet and neck, caused by those sports, somewhat offset the benefits. Believe me, those ankle sprains at 12 to 18 hurt even more at 65. (Not as acute, but longer lasting... or constant).

Dave