05-06-2009, 01:15 PM   #166
footie
Major General
Rep
Drives: i5M60

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapezzul View Post
They don't need more power from the ///M3. People are missing the point to all this- they need less green house gases, lower emissions and greater efficiency, they can't do it the NA route neither can anyone else. The pending changes to emissions regulations is forcing this and it is NOT their choice.

an inline six with multiple turbos is also in the works... as I stated earlier in this thread.

they have power, efficiency and emissions numbers they must hit with each motor, whatever they come up with will be the best solution to the problem. BMW is not VW/Audi they are not designing an engine for multiple brands and strapping a super charger on a V6.
Agreed,

It's funny but I sit and read some of the posts regarding the shift to Forced Induction and laugh out loud at the negative comments like BMW are selling out. Give me a break, every manufacturer is in the same boat, check out the 2015 emission regulations and you will see that no one has a choice in the matter.

A bit harsh with the comments on VW/Audi, the truth is all companies use engines that appear else where, think the Mini and you know what I mean. The 3.0TFSI in the S4 is actually a pretty decent engine, check out the power and torque curve and you will see it has more torque everywhere compared to the S5's 4.2v8. I did hear that Audi actually had two versions of the V6 testing, one you see here today and another that had twin turbos. Why they choice the supercharger instead of the turbos is any one's guess but they clearly had their reasons and it must have had to do with more than just efficiency and emissions.

It will be interesting to see how the new 4.4tt in the X6M performs, whether or not the lag for the turbos are completely gone or just reduced to a level that's not really noticeable.

P.S.

Look forward to hearing what you find out about the DCT.
Appreciate 0