Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07BSM328 View Post
hey Chewy, still learning this hdr stuff. i am using photomatix and iphoto.
any suggestions?
Use a software that has a Clone function and get the sky consistent with the light. For example, the light is hitting the face of the mountains on the left. If so, then it can't be coming from behind also. So, you can clone some natural sky into the unnatural looking sky areas just above the peaks.

It's plausable that the light is behind the mountains on the right, but I'd tone that down. The sky also looks streaky, yet with no clouds. I'd make that even and consistant.

Interpreting HDR is totally subjective. Whenever I post an HDR, you'd never know it, unless you're a photographer and know that I somehow exceeded the DR of most cameras. However, many like to create something that didn't exist and make the colors fly off the page. That's ok, but when the light directions and colors start leaning toward extreme or unnatural or impossible, then you have to decide when to stop. What I suggested above, preserves your highly saturated colors, but makes the lighting more plausable, I think.

I've got a friend that combines HDR and textures, with results that look like paintings. She's been doing it for years, but her results are often stunning.

Dave