View Single Post
      09-05-2012, 08:19 AM   #1
crely
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

Mismatched Offsets

Hello,

I am in a bit of a quandary. I have gunmetal Forgestar F14 wheels on my 2007 BMW 335i and recently got a flat on the right rear (19x10 275/30/19 tire). I needed new tires anyway so I went ahead and ordered two new Hankook Ventus V12s for the rears. When they removed the old tires and inspected the rim, they found a ¾” crack on the inside lip of the rim where the tire sits against the metal. I called several rim repair shops and most recommended that I do not try to repair the rim and just buy a new one. I live in Baltimore city and 90% of my driving is 80 mph around rt. 495 so my rims unfortunately take a beating and I need an uncompromised wheel. Here’s the issue... I bought the car with these wheels on it and since they are Forgestars, they were ordered with a custom offset. I’ve tried measuring the offset but I simply do not trust my measurements to be accurate within a millimeter margin of error. I’ve talked to tires shops, **********s, and the previous owner of the car to figure out what offset my cracked wheel is. I’ve been able to determine that the offset is between 33et and 38et. Here’s my question. If my left and right rear wheels have a different offset by a maximum of 6mm, is that going to cause adverse affects on handling or suspension durability? Also, it’ll take 6 weeks for me to get this rim after it’s ordered and I’m driving a minivan until the car is drivable. That hurts. The rims are $430 a piece so I’d like to avoid buying two if I can get away with just ordering one replacement. Thank you in advance and please let me know what you all think.

-Chris
Attached Images

Appreciate 0