View Single Post
      04-02-2014, 07:32 AM   #16
Fifty3bags
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by hajduk View Post
Starting pay for all isn't so great. Your first few years you'll be put in charge of finding vendors and trying to get shelved projects started again. They lead to nothing and the projects stall. Also you sit in front of a computer all day. It's frickin boring. I'm not an engineer but the company I sell for is in CNC machinery and I see what the engineers we have go through.
That seems true for most jobs. Some jobs you get to be proactive, mostly if it's a company that is developing their own product or improving on products, etc. If you have a job that's more of a maintenace type then it will mostly be paper-pushing, I work in the energy field and it's more of keeping the plant running kind of thing. My last job was at Gulfstream where they build and produce their business jets, so I was constantly in the simulator working to improve on the design rather than just upkeep and maintenance.

I really think software/computer engineering is the way to go. Even though it will mostly be coding, you will be working on something new every time (at least that's my opinion). I wish I would've gone in that direction instead of electrical which is mostly the hardware side
Appreciate 0