View Single Post
      09-22-2009, 07:37 AM   #21
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxy-367 View Post
I'm still not convinced about switching. I can see the obvious cost saving and wouldn't worry I could have a blow out as that can still happen.

I totally agree with your negative points Doughboy which is what is making me thinking of swapping but I wonder about the following:

-Can it affect your warranty?
-Would it affect future trade in if it was on non-RFT?
-I assume tyre pressures would stay the same?
-As the car is designed for RFT could it affect the handling detrimentally?
-Would you expect the same sort of wear rate (I have at least half tread after 24,000 miles)
-Would non-RFT's need to be extra load (XL) to compensate for the stiff sidewall of the RFT.

Sorry to ramble and go off topic but for me its quite a big decision!!!!!

Foxy
Common concerns foxy,

-Can it affect your warranty?
No absolutely not, no bearing whatsoever. The manual only recommends funflats it does not say they must be used. Run flats are a cost option on ES cars anyway.

-Would it affect future trade in if it was on non-RFT?
Most dealers won't even notice, but if they do remind them that it is BMWs own internal policy to RECOMMEND, supply and fit non RFT tyres to customers who find the ride too harsh.

-I assume tyre pressures would stay the same?
No, you'll need to increase non RFT pressure in general. But start at the rated pressure, then go up.

-As the car is designed for RFT could it affect the handling detrimentally?
Thats marketing BS, what they mean is the car had been ruined in order to be bearable with RFTs. The handling will be much improved, but it may highlight the softer damping used to try and hide the RFT harshness. Higher pressures helps to give some of the stability back to the non RFT. But less tyre weight can only improve things.

-Would you expect the same sort of wear rate (I have at least half tread after 24,000 miles)
Thats REALLY good, my RFT (PS2 with best wear) lasted 24,000 to bald so you are doing well. Wear of a good brand tyre rft/non rft should be similar.

-Would non-RFT's need to be extra load (XL) to compensate for the stiff sidewall of the RFT.
Not especially, but many non rft in our sizes are XL anyway, for example all conti sport 3's are XL in our sizes. Again XL's require higher pressures also.

Also, I gather that from 2010 BMW are making RFTs an option on all models, so after the M cars showed they weren't compatible with 'performance' handling, now they seen to admit they're not compatible with anything else either....
Appreciate 0