12-16-2013, 01:24 PM   #10
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
I have a Breitling but don't want to wear that when I'm working outside, at the gym, or on a bike ride.

...Any Suunto models you recommend? Or perhaps other watches? Do not necessarily need GPS.
I don't know a thing about Sunnto, besides recognizing the name.

Gym:
I advise not wearing one during one's workout. If one must have a timer of some sort, go with something worn around the neck on a string (put it inside your shirt while jumping/jogging/bouncing around) -- most probably a stopwatch is what I'd suggest. Why? Well, first off, have you ever seen a gymnast wearing a watch while practicing or performing? Any other professional or collegiate athlete performing a physical sport?
  • Damage to the watch
  • Restriction of wrist movement and possibly blood flow to your wrist
  • Possible cuts/abrasion of your wrist by the crown
Bike riding:
Do you have some specific timing need besides knowing the time of day? If not any watch will do. Otherwise, a chronograph is likely the best choice. There are tons of chronos and they all work as advertised. I assume you are a vigorous, rough mountain biker for road biking wouldn't typically lead to any roughness that could affect the watch. Personally, I'd suggest something quartz as there are no moving parts to be affected by the vibrations of rough mountain biking. Any quartz that suits your liking will do. The one on the string suggested above would probably do fine so long as the trip isn't longer than the capability of the stopwatch. Another alternative is a watch/timer mounted on your handlebars.

Working outside:
Again, not knowing what your budget and specific needs are -- timing something, wanting an alarm to let you know when to stop, etc -- it's hard to suggest something specific. Quartz is what I'd suggest offhand because they can offer a variety of functions inexpensively; mechanical alarm watches from well recognized makers are quite pricey most of the time (well above your Breitling), though vintage and Russian ones can be had at sensible prices. The vintage ones will be dressier for the most part. Otherwise, again, if it's just a matter of telling time, you have a ton of choices in both the mechanical and quartz realms. Many folks like dive watches because they are quite often reasonably priced, have good lume and are durable by design and purpose. Among dive watches, I like Deep Blue. They offer very sensibly priced pieces and even their Fleet Admiral chrono is well priced.

So, suggesting just one watch for all uses, I'd go with something from Deep Blue.

Deep Blue Fleet Admiral: (~$600 - several colors available) Swap out the strap for a bracelet if that suits you better.

Deep Blue Depthmeter Professional (~$600)

Deep Blue Alpha Marine (~500)

Deep Blue Pro Aqua (~$500 - multiple dial colors available)

Deep Blue Master (~$400)

Deep Blue Sea Ram (~$300 - quartz)

Deep Blue have several other models as well. Most are priced below $600 and one is priced below $200. They also offer a wide range of bracelets and straps, including rubber, silicon, metal and cloth.

All the best.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0