tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by kchu221 View Post
cant go wrong with a AP ROO

I have to disagree with you on that. Had I known when I bought it what I know now, I'd have got the VC Overseas.

Intrinsically, as a fine watch, there is nothing wrong with an AP RO or ROO. I have the RO and it's lovely, very well made, very beautiful, lot's of pedigree and super classy looking. It's an important watch to have if one is collecting seminal watches from major top tier makers. It's 1970s design aesthetic is quite trendy right now, as well it should be as it's one of the few things from that era that was well designed visually.

What's wrong with the thing is that it wears far bigger and heavier than anyone would ever think it should. It's not uncomfortable, mind you, but it's a definite presence on the wrist, even more so, IMO, than any Rolex Oyster cased watch except maybe the Milgauss. Also, it's look -- especially the bracelet -- gives "dressy," yet it's not a dress watch. It's lume isn't stellar by any means. It's dual finish bracelet, though gorgeous, is going to show wear more than would a simple all brushed design. Lastly, I don't think it's a particularly tough movement running it. It's quite reliable, and of excellent quality and finish, but I wouldn't put it through too much punishment.

I say this as the owner too of a Sub and a Breguet Marine (I keep it on a bracelet, but I have the blue rubber strap too). I'd sooner wear the Marine anytime I might opt to wear the AP RO just because it's more stylish and timelessly so. I also feel it a more durable piece. As for the Sub, it's just a tougher, work a day watch than either. It's clearly a sports watch whereas the other two straddle the line between semi-dress and dress.

I didn't get a sense that the OP wanted to tool around -- biking, gardening, working out -- in a top end watch. If that's what he wants, it's a no brainer: Rolex Sub or just about anybody's dive watch.

On the sliding scale of price points, I'd suggest Obris Morgan for something even less expensive than Deep Blue I suggested above. Squale would be another candidate, especially if one wants a Submariner look. Stepping up a notch above Deep blue, Sinn or Steinhardt. Next step up, UTS or Aquadive entry level watches. After that, Omega Seamaster and then a Sub. Above the Sub, I'd probably go VC Overseas, JLC Master Compressor or Breguet Marine. I'll give a nod to the PP Nautilus, but I really, really don't think he was asking for anything of that caliber.

The crazy thing about watches is that if straight up durability and toughness under all conditions is what one must have, the best choices aren't usually the most expensive ones. The pricey ones will take a reasonable amount of beating, but if/when they break they aren't cheap to repair. Not so with the less expensive ones which in just about any situation will take just as much of a thrashing, sometimes more, before failing/breaking.

All the best.

Obris Morgan -- if you must wear a watch during lifting int he gym, I think the first OM pictured below will at least have a crown that won't press against your bent back wrist as you perform various exercises.

UTS - various straps and bracelets are available

Squale - lots of styles all reasonably priced.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0