05-24-2011, 09:54 AM   #442
Chewy734
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i ZPP, ZSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstep View Post
Chewy, if you only shot street stuff, then the Leica is a great camera, but if you've ever lived with a rangefinder, you'll never long for one after using a good SLR. Forget about getting out over 100mm and choke just looking at the len prices.

I happily carry my 5D2/24-105mm combo around all day. The 70-200mm is usually in a nearby bag, if needed. Those combos shoot day and night in just about any situation.

I'm leaving on a trip this Thursday and trying to decide if I want the 7D/500mm in the bag (rollerbag really). Part of my trip will have me just a few miles from Gatorland and I might pop by to take a few bird in flight shots. I might also have some wildlife opportunities in the Bahamas. I think I've convinced myself. Anyway, with the Leica, that's not an option.

Dave
Dave, we have a tendency of shooting different things, so I agree that the Leica would be a waste of money for you. I rarely use my telephoto, whereas you almost exclusively use yours. Looking back at my archives, I'd have to say that almost 90% of my shots are between 17-85mm. Plus, most the of things I shoot aren't moving (stationary cars, buildings, etc), whereas yours are (animals, etc). I hate carrying around anything that doesn't fit in my smaller LowePro backback, whereas you have no qualms about carrying a lens that needs its own roller bag.

Honestly, the only thing that scares me about switching to Leica is loosing AF. But then, I guess you get used to it and become better with practice (for which I have none at the moment).

You're going to FL and the Bahamas?? sweet! Now, visiting Nashville sounds stupid. How long are you gone for?