05-24-2011, 03:06 PM   #453
Chewy734
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i ZPP, ZSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstep View Post
Easy solution, get a Firewire or USB 3.0 external HD. 2TB are only around 200-bucks.
Yeah, that's true. I just hate extra wires and things not being as portable as they could/should be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstep View Post
This little factoid is no longer true, IMHO. Remember, when comparing lenses you need to compare post-processing. Software like LR and DxO now correct for geometric distortion, chromatic aberration, vignetting, etc., etc. The end result of L-series zooms is now comparable to Zeiss primes and zooms.

When we shot in slide film and needed perfect in-camera results, then I couldn't argue with you, but today, it's a totally different game.

Dave
Yeah, I agree that the ballgame has changed with digital. But, I still think it's true to some extent. The Leica lenses are pretty sharp even at the edges, or when wide open, whereas the Canon/Nikon lenses can lose their sharpness on the fringes, in different lighting conditions, less barrel distortions, etc. Of course you can fix some of those things in post-processing, but with Leica glass you don't necessarily have to. What comes out of the camera could be as good as me tinkering around in DxO, Lightroom, PS, etc for a while afterwards.

Think of it this way... amateur videographers who shoot with dSLRs stick with their Canon/Nikon lenses, but "professional" ones use Zeiss glass when filming on a dSLR, or something more professional like the Red, etc.

I tend to think there has to be valid reasons for that, besides just the ability to spend 2-10x as much on gear.

Last edited by Chewy734; 05-24-2011 at 03:16 PM..
Appreciate 0