10-10-2014, 08:10 PM   #395
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley Mc Slow View Post
Absolute Rubbish, what is expensive for some may not be to another.
If someone says they own a expensive watch its because it's expensive to them..!
Nope...not reliably so. Moreover, your assertion presumes that wealth and stupidity, and maybe other traits, are directly proportional to each other. There are scores and scores of examples to show that the relationship is generally one of indirect proportion.

I will tell you that a $3000 watch is expensive and that a $5K watch is expensive and yet I have several that ran me $10K+. I will tell you the first two are expensive (in one way or another) because I know the average purchase price of a watch in the U.S. is ~$200. That makes a whole boat load of watches expensive. My other watchie friends will say exactly the same thing and two of them will spend "house worthy" sums on one watch. They may have lost any resemblance they once had to mendicancy, but they haven't lost their mind.

The fact that a person can afford something -- be it a watch, shirt, socks, crackers, cars, whatever -- doesn't mean that as their disposable income and spending power increases, they suddenly become unaware of the world in which they live. When I go into Whole Foods and I see a bottle of balsamic vinegar for $70, the fact that I can afford it doesn't mean I don't know damn well that that's some expensive ass vinegar. If I'm a food or vinegar enthusiast, I may pay for it, but I still know that it's expensive.

If someone asks me how expensive is too expensive for me, after I tell them it's "nun ya," I'd also tell them that it depends on the item/service, when they ask me, and how important having it is to me. There are certainly things that are absolutely beyond my ability to comfortably afford, and that's true for everyone. The only difference is that as one gets wealthier, the list of unaffordable things gets shorter.

There are even things that the U.S., with all its spending power, cannot afford to buy no matter how badly it wants it. Peace in our lifetime is clearly one of those things. The military strength to absolutely abolish terrorism seemingly cannot be purchased either, and yet the U.S. continues to try. Go figure...but that's a different thread. I don't want to go down that road in this one.

All the best.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0