11-06-2016, 06:01 PM   #23
JohnnyCanuck
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS3

Quote:
Originally Posted by samchoi604 View Post
due to the space requirement nature of the torsen quattro, it would not work in the A3/S3 as it would require pushing the engine further to the front, causing the front to be heavier and forcing Audi add more heft (length) to the rear to balance it out, and you would end up with a car with the same size and weight as an A4/S4. I don't think it is a cost-saving decision, but application and form factor that dictated which AWD system is used.

With that said, Haldex is not bad at all and test have shown that Volvos with Haldex has the best grip in snow conditions. It was a test conducted by a german magazine and compared it against all the other types of AWD. If you google around you will find it. Also, Audi's second fastest car to the R8 is the TT RS, which obviously is using Haldex.
I'm not saying that Haldex is necessarily bad, there are some great cars that use the technology ... but I've driven Audi's implementation in it's entry level bracket and it is underwhelming at best. I have no confidence that Audi is interested in making it substantially better. Even if they bias it differently, the car is not impressive to drive compared to the 2 series I test drove immediately after. That's why I bought the M235i xDrive.
Appreciate 0