02-04-2014, 08:58 PM   #7
guywithawrench
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 10' E92 335xi M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonton1017 View Post
Had my previous car wrapped about 2 years ago and I will never get my car fully wrapped again. If my car was not black, I would wrap the roof and side mirrors only and that would be fine with me. I wrapped my grilles and side reflectors on the e92, these are easy to do and imperfections are rare.

I would have never sold the car if I never wrapped it. It was just insane to keep clean, especially when the car was matte white. Had some light scratches that went through the 3M vinyl wrap and I had to get the entire panel re-wrapped. Please note that this is actually more expensive than the standard wet sand + touch up + polish procedure.

Even the best vinyl wrapping companies can't stop the weather from causing wrinkles in extremely tight and sharp corners. Some companies use a method of overlaying separate pieces of vinyl together to overcome wrinkles but you, as the owner, will notice it.

Matte vinyl wraps will age through time like paint, but at a much faster and more noticeable rate. If you scratch a small part on your fender and it requires you to re-wrap that panel, it will never match in color again. For example, the entire car would be darker and less vibrant than the newly wrapped panel. <- This is a permanent issue because no matter what you do to clean the vinyl, it will never look like new again. And if you try to clean the vinyl too aggressively (I mean by even just using a sponge and rubbing it with medium pressure), it will "polish" the vinyl wrap and leave a permanent "burned" spot.

I know how it feels to know that you can change the color of your car to your dream color for only $2500 and that you can revert the color any time. But the truth is, you will NEVER want to revert back to stock anyways because you spent $2500 on getting it wrapped. DIY might be different because it will only cost $500 for the material and maybe a week of your time, but damn if I had to wrap my entire car myself, I would never want to spend the time unwrapping.
Thanks for the heads up Wonton!
So if I decide to remove the wrapping would it be difficult to do?

Thanks
Appreciate 0