Rep
Drives: '08 135i, '88 325is

Garage List
1988 BMW 325is  [0.00]
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diseasel View Post
What a load of shit.

TomTom has had this tech for 2-3 years. Not only that its actually provided by TomTom subsidiary.

I would not say BMW SatNav is industry leading. In fact id go as far to say its a pile of shit.

Just last week i sent a google address to my car which the satnav took me a stupid route to and then dropped me 3 miles away at the wrong end of the road.

I had to get my iPhone out and find our where it was. Ironically the iphone knew i was 3 miles away but the car didnt.

Also this isnt a downloadable update and they arent even sure it can be retrofitted. Even if it can you can bet your ass that its going to cost the price of 3 new range topping GPS units you can buy off shelf.

And it still wont have speed cameras either.

Well done BMW Epic Fail.
Don't Tom Tom's and other portable GPS units for that matter still use the radio-based Traffic Message Channel (TMC) or do they have a SIM card installed to update over the GSM network? I know my old Garmin uses the TMC method. Also, how is it a fail that BMW or any manufacturer is adding features to their built in nav systems? Portable nav units have always been ahead of built in nav systems.