11-20-2012, 01:56 PM   #7
bimmerjph
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4 3.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26
The next MINI Coupe and Roadster will spawn a similar twinned BMW Coupe and Roadster models expected to be designated Z1.

With the success of the MINI Coupe and Roadster BMW and MINI see fit to further expand MINI from a design angle and broaden the cars visually.
The next interpretation of the MINI Coupe and Roadster will feature their own distinguished design to seperate from the next MINI 3dr and 5dr hatch.

The success of the MINI Countryman has allowed MINI to further individualize the model variations to each segment , boosting marketability and visual appeal yet retain that essence of MINI with the penchant for unconventional methods. Forthcoming MINI models - MINI Traveller , MINI Paceman XL and MINI sedan are clear example of the new brand philosophy.

The BMW models will be developed using the forthcoming "Z" design language which is heavily derived from the well received Vision ConnectedDrive Concept Car from 2011.
Currently under the guise of "Z Sportcoupe and Z Sportster" in Munich, both will be based off the FWD UKL architecture to provide greater economies of scale for both BMW and MINI.
Both of the new cars under MINI and BMW will utilse the latest three cylinder engine with potential for more power than standard models.

The strategy for the Z2 now becomes the Z3 as BMW resort back to the well-received name plate , Z3 will also replace Z4 and resort back to a folding soft-top roof. A Z4 replacement , entitled Z5 will move up one segment yet retain a folding hard top.
I was about to loose faith in BMW when I read that the Z2 was going to be canceled. At least the Z3 will be RWD, smaller, and sportier than the current Z4. I am also glad to see they are ditching the hard top roof. While cool it has added too much weight.

As for the supercar naming I think it needs to be either the M1 or the M10.
Or just badge it as ///M

What ever it is it must be bespoke.
Appreciate 0