View Single Post
      07-28-2014, 03:52 PM   #14
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

I was just reading up on this over on reddit. My fucking CNN app gave me a little push message alert saying "Second American infected with ebola virus" and I damn near had a heart attack.

Here's an interesting post from one of the users:
Quote:
I currently live in Liberia, and the situation is getting slowly out of control. Rumors have it that JFK Hospital, the country's biggest and best equipped hospital (still a shithole by international standards) is rejecting patients already and due to shutdown operations in the very near future.

Now that a Liberian ministry worker carried the virus to Nigeria, we expect it to just be a matter of days until the borders are closed / international flights cancelled (Air France and Delta already terminated all flights indefinitely). Initially people made fun of Ebola - a common way to deal with dire situations - but they're slowly shutting up.

The biggest threat remains the very low educational level of the population though, who are unaware of the simplest hygiene and reliance on prayer rather than prevention. Foreigners are often regarded with open hostility, made responsible for the crisis even (whenever the white man comes and take our relatives, they die!).

Several NGO's are evacuating already, my own departure is scheduled for August 6, and I just hope there won't be any riots until then.

UPDATE: Quoting from a press statement released this morning by the Liberian Ministry of Health and Safety (MoHS):
  • All borders of Liberia will be closed with the exception of major entry points including the Roberts International Airport, James Spriggs Payne Airport, Foya Crossing, Bo Waterside Crossing, Ganta Crossing. At these entry points, preventive and testing centers will be established, and stringent preventive measures to be announced will be scrupulously adhered to
  • A new travel policy by the Liberia Airport Authority covering inspection and testing of all outgoing and incoming passengers will be strictly observed
  • Restrictions on public gatherings such as solidarity marches, demonstrations, promotional advertisement are to be restricted
  • All Government facilities and public places are to install and provide public access for washing of hands and other sensitization services
  • Communities that are seriously affected will be quarantined and travels in and out of such communities restricted
Appreciate 0