Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konig View Post
Here's one from yesterday, went to a local car meet and tried my hand. Played with shutter speeds and aperture settings. Wasn't particularly thrilled with any of the photos but I guess this is my pick of the batch! In retrospect I think I went a bit low on the aperture but I'll know better next time!
Nice colors, but, yes, you needed a smaller aperture when you in tight like this on a large subject, like a car. I would have used f/11 and gone to f/16, if it wasn't sharp for the full length.

Like you, I like tight perspectives, but do it with a relatively long lens, like my 70-200mm f/4L IS. You can get some distance from the subject and still be tight. Here I'm at f/8 with my 70-200mm and the firewall is purposely OOF, but actually standing relatively far away. Longer lenses give you great perspectives, but you have to be even more careful about your DOF.

Hot rod Chevy by dcstep, on Flickr

Don't copy that high ISO I used. I'd generally recommend shooting at ISO 200 in good light like this, then going up to 400 and reserving 800 for interiors in less than perfect light. Because I shoot Raw, don't underexpose and a couple of other things, I don't worry about shooting at ISO 800, but I wouldn't recommend it for this kind of shooting. (Of course, high shutter speed does trump a boat load of sins).