View Single Post
      12-12-2010, 06:17 PM   #65
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxicnerve View Post
I get the impression Tony is in touch with the sheds at BMW...he's showing them how far their N54 unit can be pushed. Though to be honest, once all the mods are done, can the engine even be considered an N54 anymore?!?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxicnerve View Post

Tony,

Thanks for sharing re the insurance issue. I appreciate the insight.

Finally, why so reluctant to share bhp figures? Are you under some kind of NDA? (serious question). Is someone (BMW?) afraid that you'll be giving ideas to the great unwashed as to what they can get away with in on a 35i engine?

Also, with all the upgrades (you might have mentioned this already but I can't see it) are you still running the standard 6-speed ZF gearbox that comes OE?

Have you had her on a rolling road lately?

Also, with all the mods you're running, how would your car fair against an E92 M3 or similar?

The insurance thing is a bit of a minefield to be honest. It took a lot of explaining to the underwriters exactly what my car is about and the fact it's not a regular hopped-up car that is ragged around the local roads by a boy racer

The issue with the bhp figures is that there is too much willy-waving on the forum (US forum) and the figures are always open to interpretation depending on the rolling road used, the operator and so on. I don't want to put out a number for people then to go "oh I can get that with just a $500 JB3" etc etc. There is much more to an engine than just a bhp figure. Two cars can make the same crazy bhp, but one will be running 22psi boost and about to blow up, whereas mine will be running 15psi and be the epitome of reliability and drivability.

There isn't an NDA or anything formal like that in place, although there is an agreement between parties on certain matters

The gearbox has different software, but in essence is the same ZF gearbox as standard. It was last on a rolling road about 6 months ago

If you want a real-world indication of performance, I can give you this example... with the previous engine configuration and starting my car in second gear, I out-drag a 997 Porsche GT3RS
Appreciate 0