View Single Post
      10-18-2011, 07:59 AM   #9
NYCGP
WTF are you looking at?
Rep
Drives: Bandwagon

First word that came to mind while watching was "Tragedy". Someone wasn't surviving that crash. Jimmie Johnson's comments from yesterday were spot on.

Quote:
Johnson said he believes the IndyCar cars are built for street circuits and road courses, and drive too fast to race on ovals. He says the car is not built to withstand the bumping that occurs on ovals.

"I wouldn't run them on ovals. There's just no need to," Johnson said Monday during a test session at Charlotte Motor Speedway. "Those cars are fantastic for street circuits, for road courses. I hate, hate, hate that this tragedy took place. But hopefully they can learn from it and make those cars safer on ovals somehow.

"I don't know how they can really do it. Myself, I have a lot of friends that race in that series, and I'd just rather see them on street circuits and road courses. No more ovals."

"Their average was 225? I've never been 225 mph in my life -- and that's their average around an oval. They are brave men and women that drive those things," Johnson said. "There's very little crumple zone around the driver, it's an open cockpit and then you add open wheels -- it's just creating situations to get the car off the ground at a high rate of speed. And you can't control the car when it's off the ground."
Appreciate 0