Road Runner
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewpac View Post
The definition of boarding:

Boarding
Boarding occurs when a player is facing the boards and an opposing player checks him from behind so that he is violently crushed into the boards. A player can be assessed either a minor or major penalty for boarding, and in many cases more severe penalties or suspensions will be assessed, because players can be very badly hurt from this. If a player is bent over and is slammed into the boards, he can suffer a concussion or even a broken neck, so players and officials alike frown heavily upon players who commit boarding.

Explain to me how the hit on Marleau by Phaneuf does not meet that definition.
Thanks for the definition but Marleau wasn't face into the boards. He went sideways into the boards (like you're supposed to) when Phaneuf laid him out. Certianly wasn't the cleanest hit, but if you're telling me that Marleau didn't turn his skates and body to be perpendicular to the boards at least a few feet from the end to stop then you're telling me that he doesn't know how to skate.

It looked brutal, I agree. And between collisions like that and players losing their edge and falling hard into the boards when they're trying to prevent (or gain) an icing call, thats why there is a debate for the no touch icing.