05-24-2011, 09:32 AM   #438
The1
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: white 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy734 View Post
Well... for something you can't do-over (like a wedding), I'd rather shoot full RAW than sRAW just incase you have to crop, or if the client wants a larger print, etc.

About the 12mp comment you made. I'd have to agree with the books. Unless you are a professional photographer getting paid to do your thing (or if you need insane crop abilities), there's really no use for 12+mp cameras.

95% of my images are for the web/computer only. That remaining 5% probably falls into the maximum 8x10" print category. I hate working with large RAW files. I have a 12mp camera, and I'd hate increasing my storage size by 2-3x with a newer body. It would take forever to process all those images as well . If you really need 30+mp, why not go medium format at that point?

The other aspect to consider is that manufacturers have to balance things out. Higher mp usually comes at a cost... either lower ISO, more noise, lower fps, different sensor, etc. I would rather have less mp and have better ISO capabilities, more fps, etc. As the mps get higher, the flaws of lenses also become more noticeable. So then you have to upgrade your lenses, spend more money for other accessories like memory cards, etc. It's an endless cycle.
and that's exactly why Canon is insane going to 32mp for the 5D3 (if that's really what they do) however, they do boast a higher ISO ability still, so that's good, but again, the price goes higher because of all the coatings and such they have to put on the sensor to make it able to go higher.

how big are your full RAW files on the 12mp?
Appreciate 0