Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy734 View Post
somehow I missed your post Reed. The RAM helps, but it's probably the faster HD that makes the difference.
Chewy, the graphics card is also very important. I've got a Lenovo desktop with a quadcore and 8GB of RAM and a Lenovo laptop with SSHD, 7i core and 8GB of RAM, but the desktop actually processes 30MB images slightly faster. DxO Optics Pro uses OpenCL for multi-threading and allowing the graphics card and drivers to coordinate with the DxO program and memory. Enabling OpenCL substantially increases processing speeds and the degree is influenced by the graphics card and its memory and capacities.

The SSHD does allow me to bring my laptop totally up and into a program in 20-sec. from dead off. That's very nice, particularly if you do presentations in board rooms and ever have to reboot in a meeting with a hard stop in 15-minutes. I wish that it were easier to get a SSHD on a desktop. Generally you have to order it as a separate, additional HD, not as the primary, like you can do on a laptop. The don't hold as much data, but that doesn't bother me because I have terabytes of external memory attached anyway.

Dave