03-10-2013, 04:53 PM   #56
Matski
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: A slow BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M4 View Post
Lol, go look up where designworks is located. Guess the 3 series and RR phantom were designed poorly.
Designworks is a design studio -- skin deep. I meant design of components, how things work, y'know, engineering design. I've got nothing against the way lots of American cars look, in-fact there's many American cars I wish they sold in Europe.. but still, American build quality isn't that well respected on this side of the Atlantic (rightly or wrongly), at least that's the perception.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thurman Murch
Counterpoint - I buy German car because its a German car w mostly German parts designed to survive a high speed crash and have sport not a German car composed of German designed Chinese parts that is a profit exercise/strategy for emerging markets or markets that will come dominant

Ok currency markets flux and automaker builds factory in Mexico or USA or in a place to better distribute and save cost got that

China has it rules

BMW closes down all of its auto parts distro in the USA

German steel is 3 times the tensile strength of Japanese steel.... Japan does not have indigenous ore

China blends industrious waste into common used products because its rivers and streams are toxic and by the time you are 30 you have stage 4 so there is lead and arsenic and pthalates in your armrest on the door that your young child gnaws on

If BMW introduces Chinese made autos into the global market then you better keep the euro born and raised vehicle

If this is the case Japanese cars then us cars will become.more desirable
It's not the case now and will benefit the shareholder but BMW is losing its ways
I'm sure there's some science and evidence behind what you're saying, but it strikes me it might be based on some scare-mongering propoganda. By the time you've got to work in the morning, you've already touched and handled a number of products made with phthalates, possibly even ingested some... and this will have been the case for decades & decades. Only now are they trying to reduce the commonality of them. Which by the way will be a legal requirement of anything you buy.

I can only assume that whatever toxic materials you think China is spewing out aren't actually that dangerous. For instance, If I check a few things within arms reach of where I'm sat now, pretty much everything (phone, keyboard, mouse, card reader, chargers, Speakers etc. etc. etc.) is made in China.. (my Samsung monitor is made in Romania - wonder if it contains Horsemeat?) Why should we panic all of a sudden now because some cars are assembled in China?

Car manufacturers have lots of specs and tests components must meet, I mean some really, really, tedious and obscure ones. There's probably a ream of paperwork that covers every single little component on the entire car... provided it's engineered well, and quality standards are maintained throughout production (which I'm sure are closely audited by ze germans) there's no reason to think that the car would be of sub-standard quality, or it that it would poison your children.

On the other hand, if they do a half-arsed job of designing it in the first place, or just dump a load of tooling in a chinese factory and let them do whatever they want, it might well end up as a crap product.
Appreciate 0