07-04-2012, 01:51 PM   #18
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M1 View Post
I think this will be an item that despite not having the formal 100K extended coverage for our cars, BMW will repair under 'good will'.

Still, the failure rate on the 1Ms is no where near what was happening before on earlier N54 cars, so I can't classify it as 'chronic'...
Correct, doesn't seem chronic but the purpose of the thread is to track it to see if it does become a problem. Now we know of two or three others that have had fuel pump failures at under 10K miles.

On the additive front, I don't think this is a good idea. For years BMW has claimed high sulfur content as a possible cause. An additive would not reduce sulfur and might introduce other substances that make matters worse.

We also own a MkV GTI which is direct injected and have several friends with 2.0 direct injected turbo motors. Most of them are anywhere between 45K-120K miles. While they have had other issues like burning oil, etc. I know of no one personally with a fuel pump failure so it seems possible for a HP German fuel pump to be somewhat reliable, even on US fuel.

Again, it seems like it's not a huge problem yet but we should remain vigilant. 1Ms are special cars that are not driven as much as regular x35s. Many of them are weekend or toy cars so they are not racking up the hours so if there is a fuel pump issue it will take a bit longer to develop in my opinion.
Appreciate 0