09-09-2011, 01:35 PM   #1489
The1
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: white 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaye1 View Post
So I got rid of my Tokina 11-16mm and my Tamron 18-200 and got every single cent of my money back, mainly due to the resale value and availability of the Tokina. I'm now a couple of hundred dollars closer to a 70-200 f4L...I'm not sure if you guys recall me asking if it's worth the price to get the IS. I decided to just save some more and get it, probably at the end of the month.

Next question: I don't have a preferrence when it comes to shooting. I bring my camera everywhere and shoot everything. I like the AF points and speed of the 7D but would like the full frame and low light capabilities of the 5Dii. I'm not sure if Canon will release an MKiii soon, and if it will have the processor that the 7D has. At $900 difference, would it be better just to wait and see what Canon releases?
anything you hear about mkIII is really still just speculation at this point. The F4 would be more effective on a full frame camera as it would appear to have a better DOF due to the nature of the cropping. so together they would be nice.

The 7D is very capable with it's ISO handling, just not as far along as the 5D mkII obviously, but it comes down to how you need to use the camera. The 7D actually shoots a sharper/cleaner image. but it does sacrifice as ISO goes up. Playing with noise reduction in things like lightroom make a huge difference though. I was just comparing some images shot with both my 7D and 5DII at about 1000 ISO, and their really isn't much of a difference, and when run through noise reduction, they react the same.

As for choosing between the IS and non IS, the main difference is, one way you pretty much always have to be leaning against a wall, a railing, or using a tripod. The other, hand held at 1/60th of a second at full zoom is possible. Pushing it a bit at 1/40th. That being said, on the 70-200 series lenses with the modern IS, it is by far the best IS i've used yet, and it's amaizing how stable it gets.

my vote is for IS, and i just grabbed the 70-200 F2.8 to replace my F4 with image stabelizing, and i wouldn't think twice about the other ones without IS

your capture rate just goes through the roof, so you'll end up with more pictures that work all the time.
Appreciate 0