11-03-2014, 10:18 PM   #4883
ddk632
Chief Senior Executive Managing VP of Orange Sales
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW F87 M2 6MT MG HBDGR !

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
I tried the GPS on the 6D once at a shoot where they were using a very high end GPS setup to mark old graves. My 6D's GPS was accurate to a few yards whereas the high tech one was accurate to a few inches or less. And on a couple of occasions when I took 5 or 6 shots from the same place, the GPS readout had me at 2 or 3 locations separated by yards. It's ok for keeping track of approximately where you took the shot, but the accuracy and reliability is not there. But that day I did notice a very fast battery drain even with the grip and two fresh batteries. Now I just disable GPS.
It can depend on the GPS refresh rate;
Say it is every 5 minutes;

Mid-cycle, you walk over 20 yards and spend a few minutes making 10 shots; it's plausible that if the GPS refreshes during that window, some of those shots will show the previous location and some the new one.

Overall though I'm not too worried about accuracy in inches; if I am driving from place to place or on a road trip, or walking/hiking, I want the GPS to refresh often enough to get the different spots I shoot from. It's worked well for me with that goal in mind.

I think I have mine set to every minute.

Every time I look over my photos from Iceland, I wish I had geotagging back then!
Appreciate 0