View Single Post
      10-19-2013, 11:54 PM   #27
verbs
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
Now that's where we differ. While low end TQ can initially be seductive in the long run for me it becomes rather boring compared to an engine that starts off timid and then pulls harder and harder towards a high redline. I find diesels and electric cars with huge TQ boring. I also ride race bikes so I'm used to and prefer peaky engines.
Personal preference. I went from a 2007 335i to a 2008 M5 to a 2013 335i and have a good taste of low end/mid range torque vs. top end monsters.......I find the low end/mid range torque to be more enjoyable for daily driving, where you feel it every time you pass someone, accelerate from a stop light, etc.

It wasn't easy/practical to keep the M5 in the power band for daily driving, and while I did enjoy the top end pull a lot, I rarely got to use it compared to the 335i's low end/mid range. I've also driven the E9x M3 enough and also feel the same way about is as I do the M5.

I'm really looking forward to the new M3- a car that still has the nice pull down low, decent (not killer) top end, all in a lighter package.
Appreciate 0