Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by druu View Post
On the topic of UWAS. I find I like taking a wide zoom (e.g. 17-40) and putting to somewhere around 35mm or a moderately wide prime (35L), and stitching photos together for a wide angle shot. I've always felt like I got a better wide image (for stills and landscapes of course)that way. I could just be crazy though heh. When i leave the wide lenses at their widest angles, I like to keep the distortion there for dramatic effect when I can.
Your approach is great, I use it a lot, but it totally changes the perspective. Sometimes you want a really broad, all-inclusive look and then sometimes you want a more detailed look.

Here's an extreme demonstration of the perspective change. The first image is a 7-shot, stitched pano, taken at 700mm and the second shot is taken from the same spot with a 15mm fisheye and then defished:

Morning Mt. Evans Panorama by dcstep, on Flickr

Storm warning... by dcstep, on Flickr

They tell totally different stories, don't they?

For those that haven't stitched panoramas yet, be sure to overlap your images so that you leave out any vignetting or distorted edges. I use PS to stitch mine, but there are several programs that'll do it. You can hand hold these if you're careful. I have a grid pattern in my VF and try to find a reference to keep the consecutive shots roughly even with each other. Oh, shoot in manual mode so that the meter isn't changing the exposure from panel to panel.

For grins, here's a multi-image panorama taken with my zoom at 98mm, from the same spot as the other two:

Morning mountain panorama from Cherry Creek State Park by dcstep, on Flickr

Yet another story. What's "best" will depend on what you're trying to say at the moment.

Dave

Last edited by dcstep; 08-13-2013 at 08:42 AM..
Appreciate 0