Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 Cayman GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSickM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KirtC View Post
Thanks everyone. The link to the VIN decoder was exactly what I was looking for.

e problem is that is was a few months ago before I even started really researching things. I think based upon all the pics I've seen online that I would really like the LeMans better, but I'd like to see them side by side in the same lighting conditions - preferably in the sun.
I see a LOT of Lemans blue on the road more on Non-M cars since it is offered for 3 series as well. If I were you I would get Int Blue. Definately will shine more and it is paticular to M car.
Hmm, I've parked my Le Mans car next to my friend's Interlagos M6 at the track in the afternoon and I don't remember his sparkling more. It's definitely lighter, but I think the flake is identical or less. The other catch is that Interlagos can look purplish in bright light (hence its nickname "blurple") whereas Le Mans changes shade of blue depending on lighting but is always unmistakably true blue. But yes, Interlagos is exclusive to M cars whereas Le Mans is also available on cars with the M Sport Package.

I don't think you've seen as much Le Mans as you think you have. I've seen maybe seen 3 Le Mans cars in that many years; most of the blue series cars are the similar Montego Blue. The 1 and 3 series cars didn't get Le Mans until 2011 when the M Sport Package became available, and then they could only order it with the M Sport Package. I also seem to remember it at least initially being a Priority 1 color on the series cars, so on top of having M Sport, the car had to be a customer order; dealers couldn't order it for showroom stock. And then it was discontinued when the F Series launched. So to get a Le Mans series car, you had to have:

- A 2011 or 2012 (or 2013 for E92)
- M Sport (rare because it wasn't available on the E series for very long)
- At least for a while, a Priority 1 order
- Le Mans Blue (blue itself is rare compared to other BMW colors, and there were also multiple blue choices, further dividing a rare color)

Finding all of the above in the same car is going to be rare. And for some reason almost every blue M3 I've seen (which is not many at all) has been Interlagos.

But OP to answer your original question, get the VIN or ask the dealer to check under the hood. The (German) name is printed on a label there.

Gone but not forgotten:
'11.75 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT (owned 5/2011 - 11/2015)

Last edited by jphughan; 10-16-2014 at 11:25 PM..
Appreciate 0