View Single Post
      03-20-2014, 07:54 PM   #6
marcesq
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X5 35d

Follow up - Hollin Hall Automotive - Continental DWS

I've had 3 bimmers tended to at BMW Alexandria, and they have been generally pretty good - just a few bad experiences with my X5. My free maintenance is up in December, so I'm glad I had an opportunity to test out a local indy shop.

I just picked up my X5 from Hollin Hall - they did an alignment and installed the DWS tires.

Everything seems tip top. Granted, they were more expensive than BMW Fairfax for the same work (by about $40 or so) and there was no loaner, but they were very nice and responsive, and I don't think they even charged me for mounting/balancing my new spare tire kit. I didn't ask, but I think they could have driven me to the metro, but I only live a few miles away, so I didn't bother.

I'll definitely head back there to have tires sorted out on my 328i convertible (m sport package/wheels) if I want to ditch the run flats.

As to the Continental DWS tires - whoa, what a difference. The turning still feels tight and responsive, but so much of the harshness that developed from the run-flats (from about 15k on) is gone. I hope that lasts. Road noise seems significantly reduced as well, but I haven't taken them for a significant journey on the beltway yet (where the run-flats were really noisy). I can tell why so many people love these tires on the X5 - i hope they last a bit longer than the 30k I was able to get out of the run-flats.
Appreciate 0