01-02-2014, 08:55 PM   #85
motzus
Private
Rep
Drives: i4 M50 (ordered)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
Ye of never any faith.

This model will not only be lighter , but technically advanced for its price against other cars in this segment.
Anyone have an idea of the target price range for the BMW version of the vehicle? It looks like the high end sports coupe, hybrid (130K+) is covered by the i8. Unless it is a dedicated coupe then the 60K to 80K range is covered by the new M4.

If it were to be a dedicated coupe then I'm guessing it would be in the 70K range? Something above the Z4 (50K to 65K base) but well below the i8.

What would be interesting would be if BMW made say a Z5 coupe with a performance hybrid electric drive train and kept the weight less than the current z4 because it would not have the power folding top and the CFRP makes up for the weight of the hybrid electric drive train.

70K is an interesting price point. It is in the middle of the range for Porsche Caymans, you can get a well equipped base model or a minimally equipped S model for that price. The Jaguar F type coupe base (super charged v6) is around 65K base (but quickly escalates with options and bigger engines). The Alpha 4C is estimated to be 85K base so maybe the high end Z5 would cover the low end Alpha 4C. For audi 70K right between the TT and the R8. For mercedes it would be between the E class and the CL class coupes but those are all based off of sedans so... I dunno.

Not sure what I'm saying here other than I'm really interested in seeing what comes out of the partnership as whatever they are developing is probably going to be a low volume vehicle for both manufacturers.
Appreciate 0