View Single Post
      08-28-2016, 11:02 AM   #1
beanbaguk
Captain
Spain
Rep
Drives: BMW G30 520d M-Sport

Post Drivers glovebox installation

There's been a few requests for this install on the forums so here it is.

The drivers glovebox comes when you order the storage package as an option however if the original owner doesn't include this, you end up with missing cubby holes to store items.

The drivers glovebox is a neat little storage space that fits your wallet, phone, keys, etc so very useful.

All F30/31 cars can have this retrofitted if you are willing to take a knife to your dash...

This sounds a lot scarier that it really is, but if you take your time and go slowly without hacking huge chunks away, it's a very easy install to complete.

Lets start with part numbers first (for LHD cars):

51459240633 - Glovebox
51459267520 - Glovebox fixing bracket
07149185673 - Screws to hold bracket in place (TORX 20)

And here are the parts in all their glory!

Lets start with how things looked before the install. It's a sad empty space.

Before I started hacking away at the dash, I had to remove a couple of items. The first item to remove was the air vent which is easily done by gently prying away at the left edge (LHD car remember), and then working my way around the vent component until it pops out.

The next item to remove is the light switch. Again, this is very easy when you know how.

There are two clips on the top edge of the switch which, when pushed down firmly, will allow the switch to pop out at the top of the dash. When that is released, the rest comes out easily.

Whatever you do, don't force it! It will ease out.

And this is the inside. You should at this stage, remove the sound deadening material on the back of the part of the dash that you will be removing. This will make cutting it much much easier!

You can see my Bimmertech amp harness in the background.

Before I started cutting, I created a template of the front of the glovebox.

Mental note, do not cut outside of this template. I created a starting square within the the template to cut out first.

The dash is pretty thick. I actually started with a dremel but gave up on that quickly. I think I probably had the wrong cutting discs, but the dremel created a lot of smoke as it was melting the plastic.

I switched to using a sharp knife which worked out much better. My knife also has a serrated edge so that helped further.

After a lot of cutting and slowly taking more and more away, this is the final hole.

Top tip! Don't go for the full hole right away. Take your time and chip away at the dash little by little so you don't take away too much.

The mess....

And here's the glove box fitted. You have to insert it at an angle and then push it down into place.

Remember that sound deadening material I removed initially? I stuck it on top of the glove box to help reduce the sound deadening.

I then attached the bracket which holds the glovebox in place. It also pulls the glovebox up which gives it a much better fit.

Two screws hold the bracket in place. They are screwed in from inside the glovebox itself using a TX 20 socket.

And you're done! Reattach the light switch and air-vent and after a little vacuuming you're done!

Below is the result and a very handy cubby hole to keep my wallet and keys!

Last edited by beanbaguk; 08-28-2016 at 11:34 AM.. Reason: Fix images
Appreciate 1
Baz440i28.00