04-20-2024, 08:31 AM   #7960
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan B View Post

Where do I say their stance is rational?

And it is foolish and short sided to believe we have and endless supply of oil. At some point we will need alternatives. We will also be forced to start prioritizing how oil is used. I am not saying this will happen soon, but why not responsibly start developing alternative technologies?
I have to say I am under the consideration of the Abiotic oil theory makes some scientific sense. I also believe the geologists who predict the Earth's oil reserves are somewhere north of 10,000 years before a predicted depletion situation is on the horizon.

None of my statements or positions throughout this thread are in retrograde of not developing alternative solutions. I have many times suggested the best solution, in my opinion, is advancement of the series-hybrid architecture using a specifically developed ICE to supply on-board generation of electricity. The architecture would use a small EV battery that supplies high-demand power when required and absorbs regeneration energy.

The ICE used can significantly improve on the efficiency of the combustion process by using higher thermal resistant materials, which reduce heat loss. The engine is not connected to the driven wheels in any sort of mechanical path so its design does not need to deal with the mechanical shock loads of an automotive drivetrain. Being the electrical transmission cables are very short because the electricity is generated on board, there is no electrical transmission loss (i.e. like there is in the national electrical grid). The ICE can run on any various combustible fuels and not regulated to hydrocarbon fuels. Best of all, most all of this technology exists or is easier to achieve desired developmental states than a lightweight energy-dense battery. More importantly, the series hybrid uses the current fuel distribution system for gasoline and diesel and doesn't cause grid stress until such time the electrical grid can be upsized to meet electrical demands of AI and data storage let alone mass EV adoption. Mass adoption of a series-hybrid architecture also does not disrupt the petrochemical industry, which plays a significant role in support of modern lifestyles enjoyed by billions of people living in the modern world. And best of all, cars are refueled in under 5 minutes and have no range loss dependent upon ambient temperature or other adverse weather conditions.

The key to progression of such a vehicle is convincing the un-scientific masses (or at least those who read the internet) that the internal combustion engine is going to kill the planet.

Apologies to the participants of this thread for my repetitive posts on the subject of the series hybrid.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 2
M5Rick61289.50
eugenebmw1573.00