04-11-2012, 10:19 AM   #3019
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstep View Post
In your example, the chair seems to be in focus. Are you sure that you didn't have all the AF points on and the camera grabbed the chair because of the high contrast there. Put the camera in Single-Shot mode and either select your AF point or use the single-point center and put it right on a subject that you want in focus.

The 7D's AF scheme is very flexible, but you have to be aware of what's going on. Set the AF point to show in the viewfinder and watch which ones light up. Learn to hit the switch on the far right with your thumb and then toggle through the AF modes with the switch in front of the shutter release. You can even have all of the AF points active, but select the one that you want in the viewfinder, using the thumb pointer (whatever it's called) on the back, above the wheel.

I see you like to read.

Dave
Wifey likes to read. Those are the "to-be-shelved" books. Her collection is currently north of 11,000 books.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy734 View Post
Mark,

Firstly, it's about time for some spring cleaning. You're lucky you have cats, because if you had dogs, they would probably be marking all your books on the floor (and possibly tasting them too)

Secondly, I agree with Dave that you should use spot focusing in this example. MFA might be needed, but the key word is micro. If you're focus plane is 2' in front, that's not a micro adjustment you'll need to make, so I feel like something else is going on here.
Funny you should say that because one of our male cats piddled right on one of Wifey's bookcases right in front of her. I thought she was going to kill him. Not sure what that stupid cat's problem is, but he's living dangerously when he pulls stunts like that.

As for the pic, I only shoot with the center focus point active (which makes me wonder why I was amped to get the 19 AF points in the first place) and it was right on the cat's face. Single-Shot mode.

BTW, Dave, how's your wife doing?

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 0