View Single Post
      12-08-2011, 09:07 AM   #36
captainaudio
World's Foremost Authority
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Cab - Cayenne GTS - Jag XK
Location: Upper East Side Manhattan - Boca Raton FL - Lime Rock CT

[quote=achien;10940328]I am a parent myself, and I can tell you I won't let my kids drive without learning MT first. Why? Coming from learning AT first myself, I can tell you honestly you really don't know how to drive and how the car behaves unless you know MT. By knowing MT, I don't just mean knowing how to up-shift (1->2->3->4->5->6), but rev-match downshift (from any gear to any gear) and heel-toe downshift (from any gear to any gear).

A rebuttal to your parents to each of their points:
1.) The insurance is more expensive.
There is no correlation between the "initial" cost of insurance between MT vs AT. In fact, since you will be a better driver in MT, the likelihood of an accident will be lower, which leads to lower insurance costs in subsequent years.

2.) It's a distraction.
The only distractions are eating, texting, talking on the phone, and drinking coffees in your car. Driving a MT will discourage you from doing those activities as you will be more involved in your driving.

3.) There is a smaller market for them therefore its harder to sell.
All the better, that means you will be keeping your car longer, perhaps until it runs to the ground. Saving your parents money in the long run.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stig's U.S. Cousin View Post
I'm planning on getting a 2007 BMW 328i coupe. I have heard that if i don't get it in manual i will be losing a lot of power and that's not what i want. I would love to get the manual, but my parents don't agree. My parents have only come up with three reasons
1.) The insurance is more expensive.
2.) It's a distraction.
3.) There is a smaller market for them therefore its harder to sell.
If you hav only distractions are eating, texting, talking on the phone, and drinking coffees in your car. Driving a MT will discourage you from doing those activities as you will be more involved in your driving.

3.) There is a smaller ma
I agree that learning how to (properly) drive an MT is a valuable skill. I don't necessariily agree that it discourages you from being distracted because it will eventually become second nature and almost instinctive.

CA

Drivers Club at Lime Rock - International Motorsports Research Center - Society of Automotive Historians - Madison Avenue Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (0nly a VP) - BMWCCA - Porsche Club of America - M Gruppe - Polish Race Drivers of America (PDRA) - Glen Club (Watkins Glen International) - Jaguar Club of Southern New England
Appreciate 0