10-27-2014, 11:54 PM   #20
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan84 View Post
I've only driven an M235i automatic, but I must say it was fun as hell to drive!

I'm not really directing this at you, Solarphil, it's more a general vent... but why must people perpetuate this "manual transmission = driving, automatic transmission != driving" attitude? I just don't understand it. Is it a reactionary way of defending one's manhood? My 5'2 100lb soaking wet girlfriend mindlessly drives her 5MT Jetta 1.8T Sport while jamming out to whatever club music she fancies. She doesn't feel the urge to chest bump me when she gets out of the car, as if to celebrate being able to row her own gears.

I've driven manuals as long as I've had a drivers license. My first car was a 91 Talon TSi AWD 5MT and every car since then, excluding my Tundra pickup, has been a manual. Despite that fact [that I've only ever owned MT cars] I'm probably getting a M235i with the automatic. Why? Because IMO, it's just as fun to drive, it's no more expensive than an MT, and it's faster [see Sports Car]. A car like this can be as engaging as you want it to be. Not having a third pedal doesn't take away your ability to DRIVE it.
I think the problem comes from the word itself MAN u al...there is no MAN in automatic???? Just kidding!!!!

Seriously though, I think the people just take any difference of opinion as reactionary or hate. The fact is the the cars are coming softer, more detached, more automated, more cushy, less about driving than riding in them. That's fine for most everything but when the "Ultimate Driving Machine" starts going soft, some people gripe that is what a forum is for. Public discourse is key to our way of life so you had your rant and we all listened and noted it... Now maybe likewise, you can listen to the other side that laments that the last few rear drive sports coupes and sedan are going fully automated.

Peace and Love to all the BMW Bretheren
Appreciate 0