07-23-2013, 10:31 AM   #4468
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstep View Post
800mm is nice, but 1,000mm is better and 1,200mm is something else. If you could stack the TC-IIIs, then f/2.8 would allow combining to get out to 1,040mm, but you can't stack the TC-IIIs unless you put an extension tube in middle and then you can't infinity focus.

Stacking Kenko TCs could be an option.

I haven't looked at the MTF charts for the 400mm f/2.8 IS II. I suspect that it's greatly improved over the not so great S-I. The 500mm S-II is almost flat. My S-I is so good, it's hard to imagine it getting better.

If you don't have a camera that'll focus at f/8, then I recommend switching bodies before buying any of these lenses. Yeah, with the 400/2.8 you can AF on any of the prosumer Canons at f/5.6, but none of those AF systems is anywhere near as accurate, consistent and flexible as the 1D series and the 5D3. Believe me, even the 7D is a distant second best when it comes to accuracy and consistency. (I own one). For super telephoto shooting you need both a great lens and a body with strong AF.

I hang out some at bird photographers.net and the most common lenses I see used are the 300/2.8, 400/5.6, 500/4.0, 600/4.0 and 800/5.6. I can't recall seeing the 400/2.8 mentioned. If you search for it on Flickr you get a wide range of images, but mostly sport, indoor and outdoor.

I used to shoot my 500mm at 700mm using my 1.4x TC, but as soon as my camera would AF at f/8, I put on an EF 2.0x TC-III to shoot at 1,000mm and hardly take it off. I carry two cameras, so I've got a 70-200mm with a 1.4x TC attached on the 7D body. Whether you'll carry two bodies is a big factor. Almost all sport photographers do and many of us wildlife guys do.

Dave
I have a dual RS sling strap that I'll use to carry two bodies when I need them. Probably the 6D with the 400 5.6 and 1.4x TC and the 7D with the 70-200 2.8 and the 2x TC. That will be some serious weight, though. I won't be walking too far with all that. For the upcoming local airshow, I plan on working from the tailgate of my X5 with the 6D set up on a tripod and the 7D on a sling.

For a week in late Aug and early Sep a B-25 bomber is visiting the local airfield to give rides. I don't care so much about getting a ride, but I want lots of shots of it taking off and landing.

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 0